The beginning of a new year is a time to reset, a time to reflect on what it is that you want to do better, what went well, and adjust your course accordingly. It is a time to go over your checklist and see how far you have gotten in the goals that you set yourself in the beginning of the year. If you haven´t set yourself goals, you should. It is important to set yourself goals however small they are, it will make you have a focus and a purpose in what you do. It sets a course that gets you out of bed in the morning. A goal makes you want to wake up at 5 AM to go to the gym or stay late to finish an important presentation.
Here are a few of my goals for 2015 (in no perticular order)
1: Snatch 110kg (Current 105kg)
2: Clean and Jerk 140kg (Current 130kg)
3: Squat 170 (Current 155kg No belt, counting on Smolov for this one ;)
4: Hold freestanding Handstand hold for 30 seconds
5: 25 unbroken Muscle ups (Current 21)
6: Gain and keep lean muscle mass at 80kg+
7: Spend more time with my family
8: 100 hollow rock atleast 2 x a week
9: Get to know new people
10: Learn new skills
11: Only drink good coffee
12: Help build a great gym
13: Read more books
14: Make every minute with my family count
There are more, but I will keep those to myself ;)
How to set it up:
1. Make sure most of your goals are acchievable, and set yourself goals that you think you will be able to reach within the year. If you reach those goals sooner than planed, set new ones, and if you fail to reach them within the year they will go at the front of the line for next years list.
2. The list can have only one goal or it can have a hundred, only your mind is the limit.
3. Put small silly goals that you know that you will reach soon, just so you can start crossing things off ;)
4. If you have trouble setting yourself goals get someone that knows what he or she is talking about to help you set them with you. talk to your trainer or your partner, ask online or call your best friend. Somtimes the best way to do things is just to ask for help.
5. You should never be afraid to aim high, that way you will find your true potential. Never think that you can not reach a goal, you will, maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but you will get there, If you want it bad enough. Those goals can carry over for years, but they stay on your list as a reminder of your endgame.
6. Now, grab yourself a piece of paper, sit down and start writing!